Friday, January 18, 2013

New January, New You?

Excuse the melancholy, but I really am not one for New Year's resolutions.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about goal setting, just the glitz and glam of setting a goal (in my experience, usually highly unrealistic) alongside countless others doing the exact same thing and then watching 95% of them fail is just disheartening. 

Listened to a sermon this week about resolutions. The pastor spoke about how people crave a new identity each year. People have spent the past year realizing what they were striving for, higher rung on the business ladder, a more attractive body, the newest and greatest technological product to grace Best Buy's shelves... well, it hasn't given them joy. Their "I've-got-everything-together" appearance is just as much of a sham as the year before. 

What is our identity? Is it really based on what's in my closet? My mode of transportation? (Side note... the grape still lives, she's a cranky old lady of a car, but she gets us where we need to go). My job? My resume of humanitarian efforts?  This sermon really got me thinking, when I'm introducing myself to some one new... what to a tag myself as? A wife, a mom, a nurse, a Christian? What's your subtitle?

I wont type out all my notes from this sermon, but suffice it to say this: There is only one identity giver. God gave mankind our identity at creation. (Gen 1:26-27) We accepted the lie from Satan that we can and need to make our own identity (Gen 3:4-5). Christ has come to make us new creations and restore our identity in Him (2 Cor 5:17-19), allowing us to live as we were intended.

I'm sure by now you all have heard and read about pastor Louie Giglio's invitation to pray at the inauguration being rescinded. Much has been said and rather than becoming one of  "those" bloggers who just spurts out my own opinion on the situation, let me instead recommend this
  Here's a take away: "In the coming days, all Christian leaders will be forced to choose a side on issues that flow from the Gospel – including biblical teaching on sex and marriage. Intentionally avoiding clarity will not do. None of us will be allowed to take a pass." 

  As Christians, it is high time we dig into Scripture and beg the Lord to teach us Truth. To stop standing on ambiguous moralisms and really declare who the Lord is, what He says, and what He has done for us. I preach this to myself more-so than anyone else. Please pray for me, that my convictions would be rooted in Scripture and not self-righteousness, and that as I study the Great Story that I would fall more in love with the One who came to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10).

  Eliaya is really starting to enjoy when we read her Bible. What an awesome, and seemingly overwhelming, task to begin teaching her the ways of the Lord. I can only imagine what the world will look like when she is my age, I pray that Christ would call her to Himself and that she would cling desperately to His Word.

Thanks for reading! I know you're potentially rolling your eyes at my ranting, but I can't help but feel the time to speak out and stand firm on what Scripture says is very much upon us. Fish or cut bait, they say.

Have a wonderful Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment