Monday, May 13, 2013

4 Highlights of Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day! I hope all of you had a great time celebrating with the mothers in your life. I had an especially good day and wanted to share just a peek of the best parts:

1) Breakfast. With working nights.... I am even more so not a morning person anymore. At all. I really would prefer for my day to start around 9, but with a 1 year old that's nearly impossible. So, I woke up yesterday around 7 to clanking coming from the kitchen, "aw, how sweet, Jarrod's cooking" I thought, then promptly hit my internal snooze button. 730 rolls around and I can hear E stirring in her crib, and this delightful smell wafts up the stairs.... mmmmm, Jarrod's cooking something good! We headed downstairs and had a feast of pumpkin pancakes and fruit. Delicious. He knows all my favorites

2) Celebrating with family lunch. We had 4 generations around for the afternoon and it really hit me that this is no small deal. How rare is it to get 4 generations in one place, and for us to do it often??? We're very blessed. I learned that E really likes laying in a hammock that afternoon too. We swayed back and forth under a canopy and birds flitted from branch to branch. With eyes half closed she would reach her hand up and wave to the birds, then snuggle back up beside me and we just enjoyed listening to the party and being close. She's so active, inquisitive and talkative now that moments of snuggling are few and far between. I will remember and treasure this one.

3) New friends! We had dinner with new friends from church, and as silly as it sounds were reminded that everyone, myself chiefly of all, likes to be liked. I'm not quite sure what the sociological term is, but in a group more often than not everyone feels they are outside of the "cool kid" group, waiting to be invited in. Even those who others would say they are the leaders of the cool group feel like outsiders sometimes. It's so so important to be intentional, to be perceptive, to care about others. Even in a smaller church where one could realistically know everyone, making an effort to spend time with some one, to show them that you want to invest in their life and vice-versa, is vital.

4) Crossing off one of my man-this-would-be-awesome-someday's. Jarrod hooked up one of those rainfall shower heads and while I'm fully aware that it is entirely frivolous and one can easily get just as clean with a traditional shower head..... whoa. Best shower ever. I'm sure I racked up the water bill on that first one, but it was quite possibly to most relaxing 15 minutes of the past year. Can't wait to take another one. Thank you Jarrod!

No comments:

Post a Comment