Monday, May 6, 2013

Embracing the Corners

I will finish this post... I will finish this post... I will finish

Not sure if it's being pregnant, having a little one, working nights, or some combination thereof, but man oh man have I been tired!! But now I'm determined to finish this post, even if it means missing nap time.

So, recently a friend told me about a personality test she and a group of friends took. The "types" were square, circle, triangle and figure eight. Squares are those who do things a certain way, every time and that's the only way to do things. They're great with details and hyper organized. Circles are a muted version of a square, they like things done a certain way but can be flexible.... if they have to. Triangle's main concern is getting everyone in the group to reach an agreement, they work to build morale. Figure eights are those who are very creative and always willing to try new things, but have a hard time staying focused on one task.
Well, I kept thinking about those types, and mused on how I so long to be a figure eight. I want to be the creative, fly by the seat of my pants, easy going, unpredictable one. It sounds like so much fun. I can work really hard and am actually growing in my "crafting" ability (thank you pinterest).
Then came Friday.

Friday night if family time in our house. We were all going a bit stir crazy because it had been raining for 3 days straight and there's only so many laps Eliaya can do in the living room before she gets bored. We decided to clean up our little porch and make another play room. After sweeping up a good inch of pollen and wiping down all the chairs, it was ready. She had so much fun! Throwing tennis balls, trying to catch lizards though they were on the outside of the screen, and watching the rain were so much fun she didn't even want to come in for dinner! (If you know E.... this is a big deal, haha) After dinner, I was able to vacuum the whole house, clean the kitchen and disinfect all counters. Then a wave of joy just welled up inside me. I was so pleased. Then it hit me......

I am most definitely a square.

Despite all my best efforts and deep desires to be fun-and-fancy free, I am a girl who loves structure. When the whole house is clean at once (a rarity) I can't help but smile. When I save more than I spend at the grocery store, same result. Honestly, I was a bit sad. Being a square just seemed so... dull.

The days following, the Lord has been so good to show me that it takes all types. A room full of squares.... definitely a disaster. But the same could be said for a room full of figure eights. As a square, I help keep a group on task, help to work out the details to make big dreams feasible, and get joy out of doing some of the mundane tasks (ie, sweeping the pollen covered porch). So, I'm learning to embrace my corners. I can 'fake it' as a circle to be a team player.... but deep down, I really am a square, and that's okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment