Wednesday, February 12, 2014

5 o'clock Phenomenon

Kids are creatures of habit, and schedule. At least, mine are.

I can near set my watch by the time that Eliaya wakes up, when Elora wants to eat (E1 is less predictable in this due to the fact that she eats all day long), and when 5 pm strikes. It's weird really. We can all be happy, playing on the floor or out for a walk, chasing the dog... venue doesn't seem to matter in the least. Promptly when the clock strikes 5pm, the meltdowns start. Eliaya suddenly drops toys, the tears flow and her loud cry comes out... and whoa... is it loud! Elora, feeling left out of the festivities, decides to join in - declaring she's hungry, famished even, despite the fact she ate less than an hour and a half ago. While feeding E2, E1 tells me repeatedly she has to potty... NOW. It may just be me but I think even the walls of our apartment start creeping closer adding to the resounding cacophony a wonderful echo. The only real variety in this mix is whether the dinner I've started is just beginning or near-burning.

While I sometimes get overwhelmed by the chaos of 5 o'clock and beg the time until 630 when Jarrod gets home to spontaneously disappear, in reality I am thankful for it. I think it's my daily reminder to focus on what's really important and to let my to-do list / desire to be completely  in control  go. My kids need me. They aren't quietly devising a plan while eating lunch of how to wreck my evening. They aren't out to get me. Hey, I don't even think they're trying to destroy everything the touch. They just need me.

I've been going through two books recently, Crazy Busy and Discipleship Essentials. Though they aren't shelved next to each other, they've been working together to help me see that I often associate busyness with importance. I'm also guilty of always looking towards the "next season" of life: easily finding fault with the current one and idolizing the supposed next one. I'm praying God would teach me to be joyful in THIS season. To enjoy THESE moments. To be content now. I hear it all the time, that kids grow up so fast. I know it's true. I want to look back and have memories of playing hide and seek in the living room, running in the parking lot, playing make-up. Not only that, I want these girl's God has entrusted to me to remember Scripture and praying as a family... to not be able to think of a time when we weren't happy and content serving the Lord. Where ever that might be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment